Short Story: The Solution
Sometimes you spend a lot of time trying to find an answer for a item that doesn’t exist… so you MacGyver a solution… and then you find out that Topeak already has a solution. Haaa… you got me good on this one Topeak. The SPORT CAMERA MULTI-MOUNT (free shipping code: “TopeakTom”) is a versatile action camera mounting solution… and even more importantly it will allow me to run a Garmin Varia Radar, a Cycliq Fly 6 CE with a saddle bag for all my flat fixing supplies. You win!
The Long Story: My MacGyver Process
So there has to be a way to have it all… the awareness of the Varia radar, the security of rear-facing video footage captured from my Cycliq Fly CE, and all the supplies to fix a flat without weighing down my back jersey pockets. SIDE NOTE: jersey pockets should obviously be saved for Skratch chews, bars and other treats.
The brand PRO makes a saddle with some rear mounting options, but I’m a Specialized guy, POWER saddle all the way…, so what options have I found?
Some Specialized mounts are available for rear StiX lights, some off-brand options to mount a camera but it’s so close that a saddle bag would be tough… plus if those velcro straps aren’t secure that saddle bag won’t survive railroad crossings or wooden camel-back bridges… I just want the Cycliq to be a little further back… so what can I make?
Well I already had a ton of GoPro mounts… I’ve owned a GoPro Hero 2, a Hero Session, Hero Session 5, GoPro 6 and now a GoPro 7 Black… so I got mounts and accessory parts everywhere… so could I make my own mount? YAS… I can! But would it work? I think so… I’ll just need these two parts: a K-Edge GoPro rear-facing mount and a Cycliq universal adapter. So here is what I was able to make.
Early ReviewsSo here are my takeaways so far on the two options:
- Tommy’s invention, K-Edge + GoPro + Cycliq adapter.
- Plus: I had the parts already.
- Plus: It works.
- Neg: It’s more costly if you don’t have the parts.
- Neg: It’s more wobbly and I used generic GoPro parts the first time and it snapped…, so only use GoPro brand parts if you go this route. Thank you safety strap.
- Topeak Sport Camera Multi-Mount + Cycliq adapter.
- Plus: 5 minute install.
- Plus: Compact & sturdy mount.
- Plus: Made to do this MacGyver.
- Neg: It only has one center screw in the rail mounts, no issues so far, but I’d recommend two if they redesign it.